- 1 English cucumber
- 4 Perfectly ripe medium sized tomatoes
- Some high class extra virgin olive oil for important drizzling
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 sprig fresh parsley chopped
- 1 sprig fresh basil chopped
This is a wonderfully fragrant fresh salad that can be served as an appetizer, salad, or side dish.
The real flavor that comes from this dish is nothing special just fresh juicy garden tomatoes and crunchy cucumbers as well as some fresh herbs and a little olive oil. The basic dishes are always the best.
This is a variation of a mix between a cucumber salad that I love and a basic Italian Caprese without the mozzarella or vinaigrette reduction.
1. Wash the cucumber and score it with a fork down the sides to give it some edges and grooves as seen in the picture below.
2. Cut the cucumber into about 1/4 inch slices and set aside.
3. Wash the tomatoes and cut into about the same thickness in size around a 1/4 inch. Sometimes having the toms a little thicker is good in my book though. Depends on how I’m feeling and how perfect the tomatoes are.
4. Align the tomatoes and cucumbers out on a cutting board and sprinkle over the salt and pepper being aware to not add too much as it can overcome the freshness of the vegetables but you still want the flavor.
5. On a serving dish place the tomato down first then adding the cucumber across the plate as seen in the picture.
6. Sprinkle the fresh chopped herbs over top and drizzle with the olive oil. Serve immediately or store for up to an hour.
Tips and Tricks
You can use a regular cucumber if you can’t find any English but I like English in this recipe. The tomatoes are very important as well as the quality of the olive oil your using in this recipe so take note when selecting them.