- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pesto is a fresh and great little sauce to make that can be quite versatile with how you use it. It can be mixed with pasta, used to top chicken, or as a stuffing for your favorite ravioli or even the sauce for a pasta salad!
This pesto recipe calls for all fresh ingredients because it comes out so much better then using dried basil or parmesan that’s pre-grated.
Your local grocery store will have fresh parmesan that’s not too expensive and will make more of a difference then you can imagine if you’ve never made homemade pesto before.
Prep Time: 5 min | Cook Time: 5 min
- In a food processor combine the pine nuts and the fresh basil and pulse a few times. Add the garlic cloves and pulse a few more times.
- While processor is running slowly add the oil to the mixture, scrape the sides with a rubber spatula add the cheese, salt and pepper and pulse until a perfect consistency.
TIps and Tricks
Remember not to over salt because the cheese is already going to be very salty and if you can’t get or don’t want pine nuts you can substitute walnuts instead.