- 10 slices of prosciutto
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 10 fresh small mozzarella balls about the size of the cherry tomatoes
- 10 leaves of basil
- 20 toothpicks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Table spoons of olive oil
Caprese Salad is a very easy and simple appetizer that can be made cheaply and is fresh and delicious. It comes from Italy, specifically the region of Campania, which is no surprise, when you look at all of their fresh simple dishes that have taken the world by storm in the last few decades.
Caprese salad is usually made with fresh mozzarella, fresh basil and fresh tomato with an olive oil/balsamic reduction.
This is a take on caprese that adds another beautiful food out of Italy Prosciutto. Prosciutto is a dry cured ham that is generally sliced very thin and served uncooked. Yum!
So lets make an appetizer that will be sure to please even the crankiest of palette. Prosciutto wrapped Caprese Salad.
1. Lay out the slices of prosciutto and slice each in half lengthwise on a small cutting board and set aside. Then do the same with your cherry tomatoes slicing them in half and then setting them aside, basil leaves and mozzarella balls.
2. On a large clean cutting board lay out your 16 slices of prosciutto and lay a piece of fresh basil on each slice.
3. Next lay down one of the halves of the mozzarella on top of the basil with the flat side facing up and lay down one of the halves of the tomato with the flat side facing down so your creating a kind of ball combining the two.
4. Season lightly with salt and a decent amount of pepper. (Taste one if need be to make sure that they aren’t over seasoned).
5. Roll up the prosciutto in around the other ingredients and use a tooth pick to hold together.
6. Place on your favorite platter and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
Tips and Tricks
Make sure that your using all fresh ingredients. Fresh basil is key as is a good olive oil and fresh mozzarella that is usually kept in a brine. See mozzarella