- 1 Pound ground beef
- 1 Medium yellow onion sliced
- 6 Slices of rye bread
- 6 Slices of Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste (about 1 or 2 teaspoons of each)
- 6 Tablespoons of butter divided
Patty melts are simple and very good. They’re something that you can get anywhere but people don’t seem to make them at home as much as you would think they would.
If you can cook a grilled cheese and a burger then you can make a patty melt. They are very basic and don’t even include a sauce such as mayo or ketchup on them traditionally.
1. Take the pound of ground beef and add the salt and pepper. Mix well and make 3 patties around the size of the slices of bread.
2. In a medium skillet take 3 tablespoons of butter and melt it down on medium heat and add the sliced onions. Saute until translucent and tender. (If more butter is needed then add more. It really depends on the size of the onion.)
3. Take a large skillet at medium heat and add the burger patties. Cook to desired temperature.
4. While the burgers are cooking take a large skillet on medium heat and butter one side of each piece of bread. Place 2 slices of Swiss on the unbuttered side of 2 slices of bread like your making a grilled cheese and place buttered side down on the large skillet. Repeat with the other 4 slices of bread and cook each side until golden brown and the cheese is melted. (Just like a grilled cheese).
5. Carefully spread open the bread opening it up and exposing the cheese and add the burger patty and onions then re-close the bread.
6. Slice in half and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks
If crunched on time you can cook the onions before hand and just heat them up in the microwave later or re-saute them. If you don’t like Swiss cheese many people often substitute American cheese instead. Also some people like to dip patty melts in thousand island much like a Reuben sandwich.