- 1/2 pound of sweet Italian sausage cut into bite size pieces
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 cup of diced onions
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans of tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans of tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh Basil leaves chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 23 ounces of ricotta cheese.
- 1 egg
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- A box of lasagna noodles
Lasagna is always a family favorite and this one will be number one on their list. With different cheeses, meats, and a fresh tomato sauce there might not be any left overs this time.
This is a pretty basic yet extremely yummy lasagna recipe I’ve tinkered around for years with different ideas but I have to say that this is one of the best.
I’d like to hear what you think of it so make sure to leave a comment with any ideas for improvement!
Prep Time 1 hour 15 Minutes | Cook Time 40 minutes
1. Take a large pot and add the garlic, onions, broken up ground beef, and sausage and cook on a medium heat until brown (about half cooked).
2. Drain out the grease.
3. Add the water, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and the tomato paste. Mix it all together. Then add the sugar, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper and mix well.
4. Turn the temperature down to low, cover and simmer for about an hour stirring occasionally.
5. Soak the lasagna noodles in hot tap water for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. While the sauce is simmering mix the ricotta, egg, and parmesan in a large bowl and mix together.
7. Take a 9×13 inch baking pan and cover the bottom with some of the sauce so the noodles won’t stick and add a layer of noodles on top. Cover the noodles with sauce, (make sure to get those sausages in there!) and add spoon fulls of the cheese mixture about, then top with some of the mozzarella. Add another layer of noodles and repeat making sure to save enough mozzarella for the top.
8. After your layers are complete make the top layer which will consist of the last of the noodles, more sauce, more cheese mixture, and a generous amount of mozzarella.
9. Cover with foil and place into preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes then remove the foil and cook for another 15 or 20.
10. Let stand for about 15 minutes and Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
Something I often do is make double the amount of the sauce and freeze half of it in individual containers so I can heat it up and use if for other quick pasta dishes. You can also make the sauce the day before and refrigerate it so you don’t have as much to do all at once.