- 1 Pound 85% lean beef (you want that fat to add to the flavor)
- 6 Slices of bacon
- 1 Head of iceberg lettuce (not the best lettuce in terms of nutrition but needed for this recipe)
- 1 Large beefsteak tomato
- 1 Small red onion
- 3 oz of mayonnaise
- The best freshest buns you can find!
- 6 Slices of baby Swiss
- About 8 white button mushrooms sliced or substitute your favorite
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Small clove minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- A small jar of minced horseradish
- Salt and Pepper to taste (2 teaspoons of each)
- 1 Teaspoon of meat tenderizer
Mushroom Swiss burgers are some of my favorite types of burgers. Whether I’m out at some burger joint, cooking inside or on the grill.
There’s probably a thousand different ways to make a mushroom Swiss burger but this is how I do it and it’s absolutely amazing. You won’t be disappointed. I first learned to make these when I worked as a kid in a burger place and since then have perfected it to the perfect fresh and juicy burger that it is today. With crisp lettuce, thick tomato, freshly sauteed mushrooms and the perfect bun you will be in heaven with each bite.
1. If grilling, turn on your grill to a medium-high heat.
2. Take your pound of ground beef, place it in a large bowl and add the salt and pepper, garlic powder and meat tenderizer. Mix well.
3. Cook off the bacon and set aside on a plate with a couple paper towels on it to help absorb the extra grease.
4. Make 3 equal patties out of the burger mixture keeping in mind the size of your buns and the fact that the patties will shrink a bit because your going to cook off a lot of the fat.
5. Place the patties on your medium high heat grill and close the cover or place in a large skillet on the same heat being sure not to crowd the meat.
6. While the patties are cooking, add the butter in a skillet on medium heat until melted. Add the minced garlic and cook for about a minute then add the sliced mushrooms and cook until tender stirring occasionally.
7. Depending on what temperature you like your burgers cooked flip after about five minutes and cook to desired wellness.
8. While everything is cooking slice the tomato pretty thick, slice the onions into rings and rip off bun sized pieces of lettuce.
9. Take your three oz of mayonnaise and add a very small amount of the minced horseradish and mix well. Taste and add more until just a bit spicy.
10. Grill your buns if desired.
11. Slather the horseradish mayonnaise on both the tops and bottoms of the buns.
12. When the burgers are just about done place the cooked mushrooms on top and add two slices of Swiss to each on top of the mushrooms and cover until melted.
13. Add your veggies to the buns and place the burger on top covering the top of the cheese with 2 slices of bacon each.
14. Serve with your favorite sides and condiments!