- 1 Whole 5 Pound Chicken
- A Sharp Knife
- A Cutting Board
Cutting, taking apart and deboning a whole chicken is a lot easier than you may think. You don’t need to be a trained chef to do it. All you need is a good sharp knife, a cutting board and a fresh whole chicken.
1. Wash under cold water and pat dry your whole chicken
2. Place chicken on it’s back with the legs facing towards you
3. Pull the wings out on each side of the chicken and cut of the tips
4. Take the end of the drum stick and cut between the leg and the breast of the chicken all the way down until the joint is visible
5. Twist the joint until it pops out of place and cut off the rest of the leg and thigh
6. Take the leg and thigh and cut right down the middle of the leg length wise and continue cutting around the leg until all of the meat is off of the leg
7. Turn the bird on it’s side so that the wing is closest to you and cut under the wing so that you remove the breast and the wing together
8. Cut right under the wing joint to separate the two pieces
9. Repeat on the opposite side
Tips and Tricks
Save the giblets, carcass and bones to make a stock for later use so that you can use the entire chicken.