- 2 Cups long grain white rice
- 3 Cups chicken stock
- 1 Medium chopped onion
- 1 Minced clove of garlic
- 1 Cup diced tomatoes patted dry
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cumin
- Pinch of chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Green onions diced
Homemade Spanish rice is really easy to make and can be a perfect side dish for many meals like tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas or any meal!
This is a really good recipe that I’ve used many times. I’ve changed it up over the years and I make it different ways depending on who’s coming for dinner (I like it spicy and add jalapeños) but this is a great recipe as is.
What gives this recipe the great flavor it has is using chicken stock instead of water for the rice!
Prep time 5 Minutes | Cook time 20-30 Minutes
- In a large skillet slightly brown the rice in the olive oil at medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 4 minutes or until the onion is done. (Make sure not to burn the garlic or rice)
- In a separate sauce pan bring the chicken stock to a simmer and add the rice mixture, tomatoes, spices, and green onions cover and lower the heat. Cook until the rice is done according to the rice directions.
- Let sit for around 5 minutes before serving.
Tips and Tricks
For added flavor you can add salsa and/or canned chili peppers to the rice or your favorite hot sauce for an extra spice.