- 1 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups Dr. Pepper
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (a 15 oz can or so)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (More if you want it spicier )
- Salt and pepper to taste
This is a great homemade barbecue sauce recipe made with Dr. Pepper! even if your not a Dr. pepper lover this is still a great BBQ sauce.
There are like a million ways to make a great BBQ sauce that can be used for grilling, dipping, or even stewing and this one is one of them. It’s easy to make and you can impress your friends and family not only because you made your own homemade BBQ sauce but because you were inventive enough to use something like Dr. Pepper as well.
Prep Time: 15 Min| Cook Time: 2 Hours
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pot over medium-high heat, add the onions and sauté until they start to brown.
- When the onions are just beginning to brown, add all of the other ingredients, stir, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into a blender or food processor and purée it until it is smooth. Sauce is hot so be careful!
- Put the sauce back into the sauce pan and let simmer for another one to two hours uncovered. (Or until thick like BBQ sauce)