- 1 medium onion, sliced into wedges
- 4 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound of carrots peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 (3 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet, cut in half
- 1 head of cabbage, cut into wedges
- 2 stalks of chopped celery
Corned beef and cabbage can be made anytime of the year and doesn’t have to be just a St. Patrick’s day meal. This recipe is very easy but requires lots of time to cook as it’s slow cooked for hours.
Corned beef and potatoes was a very common meal in Ireland but not so much the cabbage. Now a days it’s eaten around the world and become an American tradition.
Prep Time 15 minutes | Cook Time 4 Hours
1. Place the corned beef , the garlic, the black pepper, the celery, the vinegar, the sugar, and the bay leaf in a large slow cooker or large pot and fill with water about an inch above the corned beef.
2. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for about 3 hours then add the potatoes and carrots to the water.
3. At about 3 hours and 45 minutes of cooking add the quartered head of cabbage and make sure that it’s covered by the water.
4. At the 4 hour mark drain the water out of the pot using a colander and your ready to eat!