- 1 egg
- 1/2 a cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup beer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 24 shrimp
- 3 cups oil
Coconut shrimp is one of my favorite ways to prepare shrimp. They are a little sweet, crunchy, and all around the best fried shrimp recipe out there.
Shrimp are fairly inexpensive so they’re great when having guests or family come over as an appetizer or even the main course.
They are fried so they’re not extremely healthy but you will always get a wow from anyone that tries your shrimp. (and coconut shrimp are very easy to make.
Prep Time 20 Minutes | Cook Time 15-20 Minutes
1. In a medium bowl, mix the egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer and baking powder. Put the 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.
2. Hold a shrimp by tail, dredge in flour, and shake off excess flour. Dip it in the egg/beer batter and allow the excess to drip off. Gently roll the shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil to 350 degrees in a deep-fryer or cast iron skillet.
3. Fry shrimp a few at a time so they don’t really touch each other. Turn once and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.