- 4 peeled Russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 to 1/8 thick slices
- 1/2 an onion diced
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 4 Tbs butter
- 3 Tbs flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 chopped clove of garlic
Potatoes Au Gratin or often known as scalloped potatoes is a baked dish of sliced potatoes in a creamy cheese sauce topped with bread crumbs and baked until the top is brown and crispy. (Gratin)
You can find it pre-made in most stores with dried potatoes, and a package of some weird powdered cheese but making it homemade is quick, easy, cheap, and way more delicious then the boxed stuff.
Your family will go nuts when the try this recipe although not the healthiest it’s simply amazing.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes | Cook Time: 1 1/4 Hours
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat 3 Tbs of butter in a medium sauce pan at medium heat, add the garlic, salt, and onions and cook until onions are almost tender. Mix in the flour slowly whisking until it’s a smooth consistency. (About a minute)
3. Stir in the milk and continue to cook on medium to low-medium heat until it starts to thicken up.
4. Add all of the cheddar cheese and mix until melted. (About a minute)
5. Take a 2 quart casserole dish and lightly butter (or use cooking spray) the bottom and sides of the dish and add one layer of potatoes so they over lap each other slightly. Salt and pepper them and add some of the cheese mixture over the potatoes. Repeat until all the potatoes and cheese sauce is used.
6. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top, cover with foil, and bake for around an hour.
7. Remove the foil to brown and crisp the top of the dish for another 20 minutes to half an hour.
8. Let rest about 15 minutes after taking out of the oven to thicken.
Tips and Tricks
Keep an eye out when cooking to make sure not to burn the sides and if it doesn’t crisp up when you remove the foil try turning on the broiler for 10 minutes to make it crisp.
This dish is great when served with ham or if you have left over ham that needs to be used up it’s great in the dish.